Skip to main content

{Saudades}


This past week I asked one of our neighbors in Brazil to go by our house and take some snapshots of our two dogs, Girl and Tiny.  He did.  Said they were so happy and wiggly that it was hard to get photos of the duo.  They both look sad to me with their ears slightly down. 

How much do dogs think?  Do they wonder where I am?  Oh, my poor babies!  I miss you as much as you {might} miss me?  Ah, and there's where the Saudade word comes in.  "Saudades" in Portuguese means all those sad feelings a person has of missing someone or even someplace, that longing.  I have great "saudades" for my babies. 

We have been in the States now since just before Christmas of 2013, almost 7 months now.  I miss the little barks of my girls, they nuzzling to get attention.  I miss Girl dog patting me with her paw for a pet and Tiny's coming to my whistles!

Hold on, Girls!  I might be back soon.  I'll send the neighbor again to check on you and take some special treats soon enough.  I'll send a note to that boy that's supposed to be staying with you each night and patting your little heads occasionally and see if he's really doing his job.  Ah, if dogs could talk and tell us these things.

Stand tall, Missionary Dogs!  Furlough ends soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...