Skip to main content

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover?

I chose a book based mostly on its beautiful leather cover and its title.  
Be careful, because covers and titles can be deceiving!

Book Review:  
The Love And Respect Experience



What does every woman want in her marriage?  Love, respect, friendship, happiness...  The author of this devotional book based on the Love & Respect conferences and seminars, teaches that men want respect and women want love.  I don't know about you ladies out there, but I want it all - love and repect.  I want to be treated with manners and kindness and consideration.  



And I don't want to have to deserve it either, I just want it!

Well, with that said, maybe this is just the book I needed?  I did find this book helpful with some excellent suggestions on building your marriage up and in working to find time and ways to share spiritually with your husband.  I particularly liked the section of each devotional that indicates what you should do and how you should pray concerning the concept presented.  The book contains 52 devotionals and suggests that husbands don't like having such time with wives, so once a week is probably enough and/or a good place to start.  The author, Dr. Eggerichs, also suggests that wives or even husbands can read the book on their own.  I read through the entire book over the course of several weeks.

The author talks a lot about the vicious cycles in a marriage.  You know the ones, you say something mean to me and I say something even meaner and then we don't talk for a week.  I wish I had realized before ordering the book that some knowledge of the "The Crazy Cycle," "The Rewarded Cycle," and "The Energizing Cycle"  would have been helpful in understanding the devotionals.  I didn't realize that this book was based on others and having no foreknowledge of the cycles or Love/Respect theories was a little frustrating.

Aside from that, the two color, leather bond cover is beautiful.  I did learn a few marriage tricks.  And I would say it was 3 out of 5 stars.


I received this book free from the publishers through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions I have expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

Greyson and an Old Friend

An old friend of Greyson's went home to heaven early this morning. At camp Uncle Harold would often spend time talking with Greyson and singing little songs. He taught Greyson the song, If It Hadn't been for Grayson, I'd be in Tennessee. All the boys can tell you some of Uncle Harold's favorite stories and jokes. When Greyson heard this morning that Uncle Harold had passed away, he was quiet for a long time. When I told him that I heard that he had just died in his sleep, he asked how that must feel. I replied that I thought it was good. Later Greyson came back to me and said that it was good. It meant that Uncle Harold had fallen asleep and woken up in Heaven. He was a good friend to all my boys.   Hang down your head, Tom Dooley. Hang down your head and cry. Hang down your head, Tom Dooley. Poor boy, you're bound to die. This time tomorrow. Reckon where I'll be. Hadn't been for Grayson, I'd be in Tennessee...