My Dog Speaks English


Tiny is a very goofy dog.


Sometimes when Girl wants something or just wants a pat on the head, 
she comes and holds up her paw for a shake.

Aunt Michele started teaching English classes to children a few years ago here in our little town.  I told my boys and girls that my two dogs knew more English than they did and they being humans could certainly rise above the knowledge level of my two dogs!  So I taught the boys and girls the things my dogs knew first, praised them and then taught them more!  Here's what my dogs know:

  1. sit
  2. shake
  3. stay (sort of do this)
  4. bath (not happy about it but know the word)
  5. come
  6. walk (to go on one)
  7. go to bed (time to go out and get in your spot)
  8. out
  9. bang (only Girl knows this, she plays dead when she hears it)
  10. stop (we tell Tiny this when se scratches too much)
It was a silly thing that my students would talk about.  Some even came by my house to meet my English speaking dogs.  I think some thought the dogs were from America!

Two funny things:

Recently a friend of Dalton's came to the house.  When our black dog was alive, people were afraid to come in the yard. Now some people know that Tiny is a good barker but not a biter and they are not afraid to come in.  So we invited this fellow to come on in.  He went right to Tiny and said something that sort of sounded like "sit."  She did!  And then he said, "Shakey!"  And Tiny stuck out her paw!  She can even understand badly spoken English!

This week one of my youngest new students at the school in the big city ran out to tell her mother after class all about my dog that speaks English and what it can say!

So maybe I should consider teaching children like I taught my dogs - lots of repeating and lots of little pieces of meat for rewards.

Take care!  Look back next week for a story 
about a boy named Wesley.

p.s.  Old Blackie dog knew one more trick - Sing!  He would lightly howl like he was singing!  And I forgot about "Sic 'Um."  It means to go and attack, go git 'em.  The dogs love it when I say this!  I think Girl might know what "rats" are, too!

Comments

Popular Posts