Dalton and the Big Dam

So today's story is all about Dalton and the big dam...

It's an interesting story about what to do in any possible emergency...  

not that any one was in any real danger!


Before we ever moved to Bahia, Uncle Byron came to visit several times.  On one of the trips, he decided to take the whole family so we could see what the area was like and see the camp and get an overall "feel" for the place.

It's a good thing that your Aunt Michele is not easily scared off.  Notice, I didn't say "not easily scared."  Many things scare me to death - but over the years in Brazil, God has helped me learn from my fears.


On the trip of this story, we had been to the island on the big boat in really big waves.  I had been scared silly - mostly because I wasn't sure what I would do if we all fell in the water - how would I hold on to all three boys so we wouldn't lose any of the three?  But we had survived the trip inspite of the big waves.  In fact, the boat pilot people had decided to avoid the big part of the lake on the way back and landed in some little village instead.  Only when they did that, we had to jump down into a little wooden canoe to get all the way into shore, or jump into the waist deep murky, scary looking water filled with who knew what.  I miraculously made the big jump and landed in the canoe.  Good old Uncle Harold Reiner handed down the boys one at a time  - they would have probably preferred to have jumped in the water.  Actually I think one might have only to come back out with little leeches on his leg which had to be pulled off one by one.

So after this incredible day of "scary" experiences, we had to wait a long time for a ride into town from the little village.  The ride in itself was also somewhat "scary."  It was my first ride in a vehicle that ran on "gas," not natural gas either.  It had a direct connection to a butane cooking gas tank.  Every time the man stepped on the gas I could see the flame of the lighted gas get bigger and since I was sitting in the front of the little car with one of the boys on each of the legs of my lap - I had a good view.

Finally, already night time we got back to where the cars had been left near the dam.  We had some supper at a little restaurant that used to be right there near the dam and headed back to Petrolina - tired, dirty, but well fed.  Little Greyson was only about three.  He was tired and fell asleep as soon as we got in Uncle Doug's big blue Sprinter (which we later bought and had for a while before a donkey ran out and played tag with us in the middle of a highway - that's another future story).

As we crossed over the big dam to go home (yes, the road goes right over the top of it).  Someone said, Let's stop and look around! Not me!  I thought, it looks scary!  So I was glad that Greyson was sleeping and said I would just stay in the van with him.  Uncle Byron went off with William and Dalton and the others to look around.  

After about twenty minutes, I heard a little tapping on the side door of the van.  I looked out and there stood Dalton.  I opened the door and he jumped in and said, I'm sleepy and laid down on a bench.  I didn't see anyone else but supposed someone had sent him.

After about thirty minutes, Aunt Renate Reiner opened the door and rather breathlessly said - Have you seen Dalton? I said, Yes, he came back a little bit ago and said he was tired and wanted to lay down.  He's right here.  She didn't say anything else and quickly left again.

After a bit more, everyone came back talking loudly.  Uncle Doug looked rather white.  Seems as they were looking at the canal pictured above (btw, the photo is from another visit as it was night time on this trip), anyway - someone noticed that Dalton was missing.  He hadn't told any one that he wanted to go back to the van.  He just left and walked back alone.  When they couldn't find him, Uncle Byron started looking down over the railing of the canal.  Uncle Doug said, What are you doing?  Uncle Byron explained that the best place to look first was in the water in case he had jumped over or fallen in.  Hence Uncle Doug's white face later.  Aunt Renate went to look near the cars - and of course, he was found.

What lessons can we learn from this story?

Many things we think are scary are just new and different.

People that walk on the tops of dams at night should pay more attention to their children.

Children who are sleepy while walking on the top of dams should ask before they go back to get in a car.

If you are NOT sure where your child is, look in the water first.

Have a good week, boys!
Love,  Aunt Michele

Comments

Popular Posts