Thanksgiving and Birthdays

Thanksgiving 2015


As you boys may know, today is Aunt Michele's 50th birthday.  Yes, I really am that old!  Half a century!  Growing up sometimes my birthday would fall right on Thanksgiving day since it's a holiday that is on a certain day of the week and a certain week of the month.  Do you know how that works and what U.S. president set it up that way?  Check it out and see if you can find out!

I remember often getting a chocolate pie for my birthday and not a chocolate cake.  But it was always A-OK for me since I love pies!  Pumpkin is one of my favorites.  This morning I was glad for three extra pieces of pie leftover from our Thanksgiving feast - and yes, I ate one for breakfast with whipped cream.  I also remember that the birthday money I got almost always went to buy Christmas presents for my brother and for my parents.  Your daddy's birthday money had always run out long before the holidays, so half of mine usually got lended out to said brother to buy gifts as well.  I'm still wondering if I ever got paid back for all those loans?

Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family.  Being a missionary kid often means that you are never with your whole family on holidays.  I guess we have never been with you all on Thanksgiving.  Your mama can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember one.  But being a MK also means that you can call many special people "aunt" and "uncle."  Yesterday Greyson was surrounded by people that love and care for him - his mama and his papa and two sets of missionary aunts and uncles.

I cherish the time that we got to spend at your house in Texas last year and the time we had together in August of this year.  We didn't have any turkey in North Carolina or Georgia in August but we did have some grand times of thanksgiving.  I am very grateful for memories of this past summer.

Today I am wishing each one of you an incredible holiday season as we get closer and closer to Christmas.  Be thankful for what you have and don't forget to be grateful for good times together with your family while "the getting's good!"

By the way, yesterday we ate turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, two kinds of cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, baked creamed corn, yeast rolls, two kinds of fresh salad, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, key lime pie, whipped cream, and washed it all down with sweet tea and cool sparkling water.  Most of all that was from ingredients bought right here in Brazil - but not all!  :)

Love you,
Aunt Michele

Comments

Popular Posts