Hit and Wait, The End

Last week I told you the rest of the Hit and Wait story.  After hours of waiting, being hungry and thirsty, the police finally gave back all my documents and said we were free to go.

A few days later, someone called our house asking for me.  It was the beer truck man!  I was never sure how he got our number.  I don't know if he had written down my name, or if I had given him a tract, or if I actually gave it to him for some reason or another - I don't think so on the last one.  Anyway.  He said that he had some expenses for medicine and wondered if I would pay for the medicine.  Ok.  Hmmm. And what to do now?  I talked to Uncle Byron who suggested that perhaps we should and that the amount wasn't that much so it didn't sound like a trick.  I agreed to meet the man.  I said that I would meet him at the beer plant where he worked.

I took David's mother with me.  I had asked the man to tell me the name of his supervisor.  When we arrived at the place, I asked to be taken to see the supervisor.  I explained who I was and why I was there.  The supervisor called for the man to come to the office.  He fussed at the man for having called me.  I said that it was okay and that I had come to give some money to help with medicines he had to buy.  The supervisor told the man that he was never to call me again and told me that if the man did to let the company know.

And off we went.  I don't think David's mother cried on that trip but she was rather nervous.

That is the official end of that story.  We never heard from the man again.  After that I made more hospital and doctor trips with David and his mother and thankfully his legs finally started getting better.  But, we never really got a truly good diagnosis about his problem.  This is common when working with the free doctors in Brazil and sadly even with regular doctors where you pay money.

People in our church prayed and prayed for David.  His mother did physical therapy with his legs every day and started giving him only whole foods and lots of fruits.  Together we went to see many different types of doctors.  In the end, we feel the only thing that really made a difference were the prayers of  many people.  Today he is about 21 years old, very faithful in his church, and will soon get married to a wonderful Christian young lady - and he walks just fine.

Don't ever forget that prayer does change things.  Sometimes it may take awhile, sometimes it may seem hopeless.  But we should never give up.



Comments

Popular Posts