Bang, Bang!


Years ago when we still took care of the island camp, Uncle Byron decided it would be nice to have various activities available in the afternoons.  One of those was shooting.  Now, most guns are illegal in Brazil.  But, certain pellet and bb guns are acceptable.  So, Uncle Byron got a nice pellet gun to use on the island.

Before campers were allowed to shoot, they had to listen to a talk about gun safety.  Uncle Byron always talked about the  4 immutable rules.  If you didn't show up for the lesson, you were not allowed to participate.  The boys and I heard the speech so many times that I could have given the class if needed!


Only point at what you want to kill.
Verify your target and beyond.
Treat all guns as loaded.
There are no toy guns.

Some campers had never ever even touched a gun or any kind, much less been allowed to point and shoot. Some people acted as if they knew all about it and thought they could skip the class and shoot anyway.  But, Uncle Byron was very serious about his rules and handling the pellet gun.

A few times I had to take care of the pellet gun activity, not very often.  Once someone asked me if I knew how to shoot...

Now in the States I had touched and handled guns but not too much.  I had even gone hunting with Grandaddy one time - just once.  I think I must have been too noisy, I didn't get asked to go again!  But I remember Daddy letting me shoot his .22 at a squirrel nest in a tree.  We had traipsed all around the bottoms down near the creek and seen no deer at all.

I had shot some at 4H camp down near the lake and had been to the fair where you can shoot those water gun pistols at a target and win a prize.  

But there was one time when I was a real target hitter!  Once when I was interior with the boys at a place called Madeira Cortada, some of the men where shooting an old shot gun at glass bottles.  One suggested that I being an American could probably shoot very well and handed me the gun.  Oh my!  I handed it back and said, No, no, not me. The man handed it back and said, Go ahead, take a shot.  Some of the others were laughing and giggling.  

I thought, Well, why not.  I got down on one knee and took a good aim.  Bang!  I hit the bottle right on.  One of the men said, That didn't count - do it again!  So I got ready and did it again!  Right on!  Now they were all standing up!  I think they were making bets on whether I could do it three times in a row.  I handed the gun back to the first man and suggested that it would be a waste of good shot to just keep it up having already proven my incredible ability. 

Now, if you ever get to Madeira Cortada - don't tell my secret!



 p.s.  Uncle Byron isn't here today to proofread my post.  If you find any errors in grammar or spelling be sure to let me know and I will fix them - maybe!  :)  Be good!

Comments

Popular Posts