Moving to a New House

So my Texas boys have moved this week to a new state.  Does that mean I have to call you by some other name?  Hmmm... I'll have to think on that.  If you were Texas cowboys before, what are you now living in Indiana?  Indiana Indians?  Well, I better keep on thinking.

Talking about moving reminded me of a story about of a time when our family moved out of our house in Fortaleza.  William was 8.  Dalton was 6.  Greyson was still three.  We had to pack up all of our stuff early to have it taken to a new state - Bahia, and we had to pack for furlough.  We were trying to sell our house in Fortaleza.  So we had to get everything out before we left for the States.  Uncle Byron took all of our belongings to a missionary's house in Bahia and we went to stay a few days at the Fortaleza Academy's guest house.
 

Several months before our big move and furlough, little Greyson had lost his glasses.  I don't know if you boys know but when Greyson was about 18 months old he had to wear patches on his eyes and super strong glasses.  It was quite a chore.  Greyson was too little to do a lot of explaining about it all.  But he needed to do it.  His eyes were going crossed randomly causing him to often shake his head in frustration.  The eye doctor prescribed patching one eye for one day and the other the next and so on.  He also had to wear the glasses all day long. 
 

We did all kinds of things to encourage Greyson to cooperate and not pull off the patches or glasses.  But the best incentive was hand smacking.  Whenever he would reach up to take off a patch or remove his glasses.  I would tell him "No" and smack his little pudgy hand.  Needless to say for a good part of the first six months he walked around with red hands. 
 

Greyson had been wearing the glasses for well over a year and it was almost time for a revisit to see the eye doctor.  So I got an appointment and took him in.  I explained about the lost glasses and our upcoming trip to the States.  The doctor said his eyes were looking really good, so he could stop using the glasses, but to keep patching until it was time for us to travel.


 

Flash forward to our big packing up time at the house... one day while looking all around for what was left to pack up, I looked under the steps and lo and behold what do you imagine I found?  Greyson's little blue eye glasses!  When I found them I called everyone to come and see what I had found.  Greyson with his cute little three year old voice said something like - "Oh, that's where I left them!"  So were the glasses lost?  Or had they been carefully hidden?  It's hard to say!
 

So I'm wondering, boys, did you lose anything in the big transfer to your new house?  Or did you find some lost things as you were packing up to go?
 

Best wishes and prayers as you settle in to your new home!

Comments

Popular Posts