Can I Guarantee a Positive Answer to my Prayer?


November, 2012
Is there a magic formula that guarantees that God will answer my prayer?  Oh, if only there was!  I'd sure like to know what it is!  I remember very clearly the moment of this photo taken by a missionary friend, Renate Reiner.  It was at a ladies' rally in Juazeiro, Bahia in 2012.  My husband and I were in the beginning of problems with one of our three sons. It would turn out to be a long haul.  We had yet to really "tell" anyone.  But that day in this little group I asked for prayer for one of my boys and some problems in our family.

I would pray basically that same prayer over the next years... 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and most of 2016.  God, save my son.  God finally answer that prayer on a night in 2016.  Our son, all by himself in the woods, saw God for who He really is and asked forgiveness for his sins.  And God answered my prayer.


P It was in His time, at just the right hour and in just the right place.



Because to every purpose there is time and judgment, therefore the misery of man is great upon him.
Ecclesiastes 8:6

So can I guarantee an good answer from God or not?  I'm going with NO as my answer.  But allow me to explain...


It seems to me that just like any good father would never just give their child whatever they want regardless of whether it's good for them or not, God does the same.


P God knows what is the best for us just like a good father does!



For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.  Jeremiah 29:11

Meu Paizinho
This is my Daddy.  He celebrated his 80th birthday last year.  My Daddy likes it when I call him on his cell phone.  He's not really the email type and he's never sent me a text message.  But he likes phone calls.  And I love to call him.  He's so funny on thephone.  When I call I ask about the weather, the neighbors, his cat.  He asks about Byron. It's just good to hear his voice.  It's not about asking for anything.  It's just keeping in touch.

P Prayer is talking to God, hearing from Him and His listening to us.


 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:John 10:27

RDU, Mom and Dad with our oldest, 2014


Fortaleza, 2012
My father is a simple guy.  He lives out in the country on land that belonged to his father before him.  He's always worked in the city as a diesel truck mechanic.  He traveled some while in the Coast Guard, but he's not a big traveler in general.  But when he found out about his first grandchild getting ready to be born in Brazil, he got his first passport and made starting making plans.  He knew it was important to see and get to know his boys in person.  He and my mother visited 8 different times while our three boys were growing up here on the mission field.  His visits were important.

P Prayer is spending time with our Heavenly Father to get to know each other better.

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. 
Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, 
ye double minded.
James 4:8


But you know what, when I wanted something from my Daddy Dear when I was a girl, you know what I would do?  I'd talk to him.  I'd try to be a good little girl.  I'd give him a kiss or a hug.  And sometimes I'd get what I wanted!



P God loves to hear from obedient sons and daughters and is always ready to receive the repentant prodigals with open arms.


 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Psalm 66:18


Prayer is our connection with God.  When we have sin in our lives it makes simple conversation hard.  As a teenager in opposition from time to time with my father's principles, it wasn't easy to just sit around and talk about the weather or anything else.

We need to be in communion or fellowship with God to talk to him.  We need to be "good" with our Father to ask of Him.  I would have never imagined asking my Daddy for money for something that he would approve of.  But often we don't consider that when we ask of God.


P God gives in accordance to His divine will, plans and principles.



 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
  1 John 5:14

Back to our big question, can I guarantee a certain response from God?  God is not a magic genie who is obliged to give me what I want if I ask in some magic way.  Let's not fall in to the trap of believing if I ask with certain catch phrases that God must give me what I want.  There are many, many verses that give specific prerequisites for prayer.  Let's consider the big picture of all of scripture:

  • You must be a saved child of God.
  • You can be living in sin.
  • You need to be in communion with God.
  • Your request must fit in God's Will.
  • You need to have faith to accept God's best for you.

My father probably doesn't even remember but once I asked for a horse for Christmas.  I wrote it down on my Christmas wish list along with a belt and a certain colored skirt.  I got the belt and a nice skirt that year.  I never got the horse.  My Daddy knew better that I did.   



P God knows what is good for us.

God does know what we need.  He wants to hear from us.  He wants to hear about our day and our problems.  He wants to help.  Pray.  Ask.  And leave it for God to decide.


Mom and Dad with my middle boy and his wife, 2016


Let's rewind to the beginning of this post?  When I was praying like crazy every minute of every day for my middle boy,  I didn't understand why God was taking so long to do something good - turn my rebellious boy  around.  I knew that God was good, always.  But in the middle of the conflict I wasn't really trusting in God to take care of things.  I wanted to be the "Savior of the Day" with my own efforts and sincerity.  I was tried, messed up and I finally realized that only God could fix it all.

One night I gave it all to God.  I repented of my pride, of my lack of submission to my husband, and of all the sins I could think of going back to kicking my brother when my parents weren't looking and quite a few other things.  I literally put my hands up to God and asked Him to take it all.


My relief was deep and immediate.  Nothing with my son had changed, but I had changed.  I wish I'd known about the method of praying called Umbrella Prayers back then.  It starts with acknowledging who God is and leaves our problems in His care.  That's pretty much what I did that night.  Here God, You are Powerful, You know better, Do what You will.


Does God answer prayer? Yes

Can we get what we want when we want? No
Can we get what's best at the right time? Oh, yes!

God's timing was just right in our lives.  My boy got saved.  My own life was changed dramatically.  Thank you, God.




And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Luke 11:9-13



Comments

Popular Posts