Fixing Things: Repost and Rethough

Wherever my dad goes, he fixes things:  bikes, boats, boys - and even broken hearts.  This is an old post that I have edited this morning.  Happy Father's Day to my favorite Dad!



When your I was little my family lived in Baltimore, Maryland.  I had three uncles, my mother's brothers - Uncle Duane, Uncle Regene, and Uncle Leon.  I had quite a few cousins, and saw them all the time.

All the uncles would get my Daddy to help with the engines on their boats.  Baltimore is right on the Chesapeake Bay.  All the uncles had boats and would go out fishing and cruising around on the bay.  My Daddy knew a lot about boat engines from his time in the Coast Guard as a mechanic.   

Once a bunch of us were out on one of the boats and ended up stranded with a engine problem. I don't remember what the problem was, but I remember the fun and adventure part!  We kids weren't scared much at all.  It was great. One of the aunts raided the cupboards of the boat for food.  We were hungry sailors! I remember eating sardines and crackers.  The adults put all the little cousins to bed in the bow of the boat where there were bunk beds.  

I don't know if Daddy fixed the boat that time or if we ended up being towed in, but there were a number of times when he did.  One time he even had to dive under the boat to fix something.  I recall hearing that the water was very cold.

Daddy was well known for fixing things -- anything.  He worked on bikes and trucks and washing machines.  One time I remember one of my cousins insisted that he could fix anything brought him a shoe to fix!   One pastor would say that Mr. Beckner just needed to lay his hands on a car to fix it.  I remember Daddy looking at someone's car for just a few minutes and knowing exactly what was wrong with it in a jiffy.

I think Daddy could fix the U.S. government if given a chance.  Move over Biden and Trump, and let Beck take care of it all.  My husband is a good mechanic, but has been known to call on Dad's advice when he couldn't figure out a problem.  Grandad's even been known to fix boys from time to time.  Every one of my boys has had a little fixing done by their Grandaddy.



Father's Day is today in the USA but not here in Brazil.  Nonetheless it's a good day to remember all the things that my Daddy can do, and how much he loves each one of his children and grandchildren, and now even great grandchildren.  It's good to say that one of the best things he does is pray for each one.  These verses make me think of him...

Isaiah 58:11-13

And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, 
The repairer of the breach, 
The restorer of paths to dwell in.

Thank you, Daddy, for keeping each one of us
 in your thoughts and prayers.  Thank you for your 
godly example in our lives.  Whenever I feel a little done, 
a phone call to you fixes my heart.



Comments

Popular Posts