Skip to main content

Memories in a Box

 For several days we've been running around the Christmas bush saying, we should take it down today.  Alas others things just kept getting in the way.  This morning right after breakfast we got the tree undecorated and stored away.  The boys worked happily with some Christmas music in the background.  All they had to do was put the stuff on the table.  I put it all carefully away.  My goal this year was "all in one box."

I shed a few quiet tears as I was packing.  Reading little notes attached to ornaments from Community Baptist.  Some of the dear folks are now in heaven.  One little note that called William - "Trip" - made me smile. 

Our Christmas decorations weren't used in 2013 as we were in the States.  The last time they were used, was during some of the times when we were first aware that things were not going well in one of our son's life.  2012 was a rather low Christmas.  No one really helped me with the tree. 

I'm so thankful for Christmas this year.  We put up the tree together and took it down together.  Our gift giving was not extravagant but good.  This year as I closed the lid on the box (had to sit on it a little, all in one box - remember), I was glad to have stuffed in a few good happy memories.

Can't wait for Christmas of 2015.  I feel it will be good, full of thankfulness for what God has done over the course of this year!

Psalm 71:14

But I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more.

Comments

  1. The spark of hope inside is a special gift from Him too. Thx for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...