Skip to main content

Praying for the Pandemia

How does a person pray for an on-going, world-wide catastrophe?
That was the question I set out to answer earlier this week.  I wanted to have some sort of low-key [not live] prayer event for the followers of our Brazilian version of Umbrella Prayers called Sombrinhas de Oração.  

In this quest for information I sought answers from friends and my Sombrinhas' colleague, Anne Almeida.  We both decided to "sponsor an event" through our Facebook page.  Interestingly as I set up the "event," Facebook gave me several warnings about sponsoring a group activity during a health crisis with stay at home edicts in effect.  I made sure I wrote "on-line" only and "each one in their own home" in several pertinent locations.


On Wednesday or Thursday we decided on a Bible passage for our "guests" to read and I set to making a brief devotional and looked for a list of prayer points.  All day on Friday we worked and edited and corrected and edited again our digital study packet.

This morning about 20 people participated that we can be somewhat sure of during the set hour and quite a few more received our materials.  


So back to the question, how do you pray for a pandemia?  I think you start with a good look at who God is.  Move to a good look at who you are and what you've been up to lately - good and bad, confessing known sins.  Then you pray humbly for those around you and those you love.

May God have mercy on our world in these harrowing days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

Greyson and an Old Friend

An old friend of Greyson's went home to heaven early this morning. At camp Uncle Harold would often spend time talking with Greyson and singing little songs. He taught Greyson the song, If It Hadn't been for Grayson, I'd be in Tennessee. All the boys can tell you some of Uncle Harold's favorite stories and jokes. When Greyson heard this morning that Uncle Harold had passed away, he was quiet for a long time. When I told him that I heard that he had just died in his sleep, he asked how that must feel. I replied that I thought it was good. Later Greyson came back to me and said that it was good. It meant that Uncle Harold had fallen asleep and woken up in Heaven. He was a good friend to all my boys.   Hang down your head, Tom Dooley. Hang down your head and cry. Hang down your head, Tom Dooley. Poor boy, you're bound to die. This time tomorrow. Reckon where I'll be. Hadn't been for Grayson, I'd be in Tennessee...