Lizard Eggs and Boys

Last week I found some little round eggs in a corner in the kitchen.  I took one to Uncle Byron and asked what he thought it was:  lizard or bird.  He decided it must be lizard. I put it on my "lazy Susan" in the middle of the dining room table to keep an eye on it and see if maybe it would hatch.

This week while my private English student was at the house, she spied the egg and asked to touch it.  She promptly dropped it as it was very light and sort of blew right out of her hand.  She apologized and we took the opportunity to see what it looked like inside.  It seems my egg would not have hatched anyway as it was all dried up on the inside with a little black blob like a thick drop of ink.

Seems my boys were always smashing something or another over the years.  Once in a grocery store in Fortaleza sometime around Easter, there were little baby chicks in a box.  There was no sign to say that they were for sale.  It seemed there had been some event for children that we had just missed.

Anyway, William and Dalton were looking at them when one or the other asked why the one in his hand wasn't moving.  I thought I had rather nicely said - Don't touch them!  I turned around to see a quite still one in one of the boys' hands.  I have a feeling it got the "smaosh-ded" treatment.

It reminded me of this old story about Dalton that you can click on the link below to find.  I'm not sure if you've already read this story or not.  Uncle Byron loves to tell this story when talking about the tales that little boys often try to get away with!  It's a good one. 




 One of the boys' iguanas
Did you know we had two iguanas for a while?

" Smaosh-ded ,"  that's what happened long, long ago to some lizard eggs at the hand of one of my boys.  Last night Byron ...


Next week look for a story about the iguanas!

Comments

Popular Posts