When It Seems God's Answer is No

Do you know that one request always on your mind? That request you make in every prayer service in the church?  The one who seems to never have a firm and positive response? That one it seems God doesn't seem to hear?

Hear my prayer, O Lord,
And let my cry come to You.
Psalm 102: 1

I have a request like that. For a long time I pray for a boy who is very dear to us. I pray that he will have a stable home full of love. I pray that he will have wise adults in his life teaching him to live well. I pray that he may have those who teach him well about spiritual concepts.

Hear my prayer, O God;
Give ear to the words of my mouth.
Psalm 54: 2

I think I started praying for this boy while he was still in his mother's belly. I remember when I met her in the shade of a peacock-eye tree with it's little red seeds that my boys loved to collect in jars. She probably does not even remember ...


When he was three years old, he came to spend time every day in my house. I knew that my time was limited, and I tried to speak as much as I could of the great Creator of the World - God the Father. At the park, I spoke of all the things that God had created. At home I made a place to play with the clean dirt and sand and water. We talked about the days of creation and how good God is. He helped my husband with "jobs" around the house. The little boy went with us to Sunday School and Bible Clubs on the weekends. Oh, and we watched Canine Patrol every day and a little Power Rangers, too! I learned the names of all the dogs and all the power rangers.


But as for me, my prayer is to You,
O Lord, in the acceptable time;
O God, in the multitude of Your mercy,
Hear me in the truth of Your salvation.
Psalms 69:13

It's been four years of prayer, not every day, but many times a week. Soon his family situation will take a nose dive into the not-so-good side of life. Did God forget this boy? Did he not hear my prayer? I'm sure God does. When it was needed, I acted and did what I could to be a positive influence in her life.

I firmly believe that prayer includes action. Just praying for your neighbor who has no food in his house without any action is a FAKE prayer. There are times when we have to admit that ONLY GOD CAN. We have to turn away, and LET GOD ACT.

For God is not unjust to forget your work 
and labor of love 
which you have shown toward His name...
Hebrews 6:10


Stop praying for him? Stop looking for ways to help? I think not! I will continue, although it seems that the answer to my prayer now is a big NO. I cannot predict the future, but I can rest in the fact that God is good, God is all powerful, and God does not forget. I can focus on who God really is and understand that He knows everything.

Umbrella Prayers is not magic. Drawing your prayer does not give super powers to your requests. But it has helped me remember that God is in control. Begin your prayer time by reviewing who our Lord God is and your requests will not have the weight of before you started.

My Umbrella Prayer for my little pal.  It's in Portuguese.  On the Umbrella is says - Sovereign!

For more information about Umbrella Prayers in English go to:



Comments

Popular Posts