Skip to main content

Withered

Wither:  verb
  1. To make or become no longer fresh or shapely because of loss of moisture: dry up, mummify, sear, shrivel, wizen. See dry.
  2. To waste away from longing or grief: languish, pine (away). See health.
  3. To render helpless, as by emotion: benumb, numb, paralyze, petrify, stun, stupefy. See affect.  

The following was originally written in the month of November of 2007.  It is consistent true in the dry, hot, semi-arid of Northeastern Brazil where we live.  The big city nearest to us states on their website that they get only 16 inches of rain per year!


Every time we come home from a retreat, the grass in the front yard is dry and withered. It doesn’t rain in Sobradinho. When we’re at home, I water the grass with the run-off from my washing machine and what doesn’t get enough from that, I top up in the evening with a little sprinkler we have. I enjoy raking the leaves and keeping the yard free from trash. I water some parts with a hose where it just doesn’t do to use the sprinkler and try to keep it looking mostly green.

I’ve been reading about gardens in the Bible….

It seems my life is a lot like our front yard. After retreats my feet are all dried up from walking in the sand. My skin is dry all over. I often get dehydrated while out on the island. It’s hot and we run from here to there taking care of everything with our current lack of help that there just isn’t time to drink as much water as we should. The boys are tired and cranky. It takes days to get back to normal and just to get back into the schedule of being at home.

Everything gets dried up!  When we come back from retreats we return to a dried up congregation. We have to start the watering process all over again. Lately we’ve been gone quite a bit. There is no automatic sprinkling system for churches. We have to be there to do the job. We have no substitutes….

I’m trying to plan ahead and be better prepared for the "droughts." I’m trying to think ahead about what we will eat when we get home. We often arrive just in the nick of time to run to church for the evening worship service and there is no time to fix complicated meals and no stores open from which to buy anything. But some garden work can’t be done too far in advance. Mostly I can only try to control what I can, plan ahead, and hope for the best. I’m trying to make the garden of my home a green, growing place. A happy place in which to be. A place of rest and comfort. A place where growing can take place and should take place.

Greyson, 2007, Yard looks a little green!

Today it rained! For the first time since April or May, maybe even before that. Thank you, God for the rain. And thanks for the occasional shower in my life to keep me watered just enough to make it through until the real rains.








Above is an old post from the crypt written in 2007.  I'm so thankful for little spiritual "rain" in my life this week:
  • visit from friends for the weekend
  • unexpected gift from my dear husband
  • an opportunity for which I've been praying for some time
  • my wonderful boys and a special learning time for one
  • strawberries to add to my crock pot yogurt this week


Waiting for Rain: The Politics and Poetry of Drought in Northeast Brazil

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading about drought. Yes, it is a fact of life here and we do need to make the best of it as best we can with the help of God, by His Grace and Mercy. Looking forward to our times of refreshing "rains"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...