Skip to main content

Book Review: Great Day

So what's wrong with you?  Dog die?
Yup, My dog died ...
I was already in an incredible personal slump.
My best friend had just left on furlough.
Things were not going well at home.
Another friend had broken off our friendship.
My part-time job was losing its joy
Money was getting tight.
My boys were growing up way too fast...

And then this little book showed up in the mail one day from Booksneeze!

It was like a breathe of fresh air at just the right crucial moment.  I had opened the package with the book the morning before the wild night when my twelve year old dog went into total arrest because of canine distemper. As we made the decision to go into the big city to take our old dog to see the vet after a wild night of convulsions and seizures, little phrases from the first pages I had browsed ran through my head.  When the doctor said there was little hope and we considered putting our dear dog to sleep, I just kept repeating to myself that somewhere in all this mess there could still be a great day ahead, and it was all up to me.

Everyday really can be a good day inspite of all the bad around us.  We ourselves as sons and daughters of the greatest King - God Himself can trust and allow our Lord to work it all out.    That horrible day I was reminded over and over of Psalm 118:24:   This is the day the LORD has made; We CAN rejoice and be glad in it.

I was super impressed with this book and found it a quick and easy read.  It has simple, clear advice to help each Christian keep perspective and consider carefully how to redeem each day for God's service.

I highly recommend this book!

It came to my door on just the right time to help keep a bad day in perspective.


   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...