Skip to main content

Baby Blankets and City Parks and Missions

So how do the three go together?

I've been praying for a park since we got here to the States.  It's a park near the mission house where we are staying while here on furlough.  There aren't the public squares where people gather like there are in Brazil.  But quite a few young people gather in the park every afternoon.  One of our boys likes to go down there every day to play basketball and hang out. 



I've also been praying for a small ministry to do while being at home most days with one of my boys doing his school work at home this semester.  One of the ladies in the missionary circle at the church here had an idea to make baby blankets for a local women's shelter.  The lady had been the owner of a cloth store and had a lot of fabric at home.  She gave me a bolt of calico and I started sewing.

The two ended up going together when some of the folks of the church began to consider how to reach out here in Reidsville like the missions team did this summer in New York City - Bible stories in local parks, praying with people in the park, and just reaching out to the local community.  This, too, had been impressed on my heart after William, our oldest, came back from the missions trip.

All three prayers came together with the Community Cares 2012 project of Community Baptist Church this Saturday.  People of the church gathered at the local park to distribute baby items to needy families.  The youth helped with Bible stories and games for children.  The praise team played and sang for hours.  Others helped grill hot dogs, pass out lunch and give away lemonade. Many prayed with anyone that had a request.  It was an incredible event.

This video was shared by the pastor of the church on Sunday morning...

 
 
I'm so thankful to have been able to participate. I will keep praying for the people that pass through Jaycee Park every day and hope that now a few know that there are people that care at Community Baptist Church.


Comments

  1. How wonderful that you got to be part of this event, Michele. We are Jesus to many people who may never come to church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...