Skip to main content

Toys and Boys

When William and Dalton were just little things we moved into the only house that Uncle Byron and I ever bought and owned.  We had just gotten back to Brazil after our first furlough.  William was 5 years old and Dalton was 3.  We had a hard time finding a good house.  We knew where we wanted to live in a certain neighborhood close to the congregation we were helping.  To find houses to buy we would drive in increasingly bigger circles from the property for the new church.  One day we were only about three city blocks from the property when Uncle Byron drove down a dead end street of cute houses.  The street was one block long and the house on the dead end looked like it has the biggest yard.  I lamented the fact that it had no For Sale sign and said that we should just tell the person we liked their house and ask to buy it.  Well, Uncle Byron did! And the lady that answered the door said, OK!  She had put the house up for sale earlier that year and had recently taken the sign down!

It was a great house with very little traffic on the little street and good neighbors.  The boys had a nice yard to play in and could play in front of the house wall on the sidewalk and in the street.  Sometimes I would open the gate and they would come and go with toys and bikes and what not.  I would frequently remind them to not leave toys out on the sidewalk as someone might take them.

Now, if William and Dalton were little and we had just gotten back from our first furlough, and it was sometime in late 1999 - who wasn't born yet?  You guessed it!  Greyson!  I was about 7 months pregnant with Greyson, very heavy and could not walk or run very fast.  Dalton and Greyson "sat" on one of the nerves of one my hips when I was pregnant with each one causing me lots of pain and difficulty walking.

I know you've almost guessed the rest of this story.  One day William and Dalton came in the house asking for water and permission to watch television.  I passed out water and got set to turn on the t.v. when I saw the gate open and asked if they had left toys out on the sidewalk.  William said, Yes, Mama. And I said, Well, come on.  Let's go get them.  When we got out to the sidewalk all the toys were gone!  At the very end of the street - the open end of our dead end block - we could see a couple of boys with a junk cart turning the corner.  No one else was on the street.  I recalled seeing the boys earlier clapping at gates and asking if people had any junk to give them.  They would resell it to a recycling person for a little cash.  Hmmm!  I did some fast thinking.  Hollered for William to tell the girl from church who was helping in the house that day that I would be right back and I took off for the corner as fast as I could go.

When I turned the corner  I saw a neighbor and asked if they'd seen the boys and the cart.  I quickly explained why and they pointed in the direction they had seen them go. "You'll never catch them!" they cried after me.

I took off as fast as my pregnant legs would go.  I turned the next street's corner and saw the boys and the cart about a block away.  I started hollering, "Hey, hey!  Stop! Come back."  And kept "running."  They acted like they didn't hear me and kept on pushing their cart but couldn't really go too fast as it was a rickety cart with bad wheels.  I finally caught up to them huffing and puffing and in pain.  I said, "Did you get some toys off my sidewalk just now!"  They both just stared at me.  There were two of them.  I could see one of the little Winnie the Pooh figures in one of the guys' hands.  I said, "That's one of them!  Where are the rest!!!  You know that wasn't junk left out for you and you saw my boys playing.  Give me back their toys."  They reached down in the cart and pulled out a few.  I said, "I want them all!"  I had a dress on that day with a big skirt.  I picked up the ends and said, "Put them right here."  I waited until they slowly got out each and every one.  Then I thanked them and turned to go home.

When I got back to the corner of our street the same neighbor was standing there.  He saw the toys and laughed and laughed.  He couldn't believe that I had gotten them all back.  When I got home, I showed the boys and then - I put them all away in my closet.  I kept them there for a long time before I gave them back.  Today that same Winnie the Pooh and his friends are favorites of the boys and girls of our church nursery here in Bahia.

The Gate

The moral of this story is - Don't leave your toys out on the sidewalk unless you have a fast Mama.

Comments

  1. Happy to see this story.Daddy and I remembering the house on the dead end street.I was thinking about all the times we visited there and remembering the pizza house and the small store on the corner.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...