Skip to main content

Boys and Lizards

Right now in our kitchen if you look in the corner behind the back door, you can probably find a few lizard eggs.  I'm not sure why mother lizard likes that little spot, and I've yet to see her gently placing her future babies on the ground.  Lizards are all around us.  I see at least one a day. They come in all shapes and sizes.  Our old Black dog used to chase them from time to time.  But they are so common that the dogs don't usually even pay them any mind.  My favorite is one that lives behind my big buffet cupboard in the living room.  It must have a good spot back there for catching bugs.

I'm not afraid of them, but there are many women in our town who are.  They don't bite.  They are helpful to the environment.  They don't make much of a mess of any sort.  And, they can be quite funny. Once when Uncle Byron was preaching in a church in Fortaleza, a very big lizard caused quite a commotion.  Uncle Byron was just going to town with his sermon and felt like people were really paying attention until he saw that the eyes were not on him but rather on something just beyond.  Behind him on the wall was a lizard eyeing a big bug.  It would give a little step towards the bug, and pause. All of a sudden it took off and grabbed the oversized bug, but hard a hard time gulping it down it's undersized mouth.  Uncle Byron stopped for a bit to let the lizard finish the drama before trying to continue his message. No, I have no clue about the outline of his message.  I just remember the bug and the lizard.

When we first starting going out to the island, Tio Naldo and the boys found two small iguanas in the bottom of the little boat called the Surubim.  There were lots of iguanas on the island at one time.  A few times we even saw same fairly large ones.  These two were wee little things and had apparently been on the boat while at the island, but now found themselves in Sobradinho. One was hurt where it seemed his little feet had been burned on the hot boat motor.  I'm not sure about who suggested it and I don't know exactly who was present, but the "lizards" ended up at our house.

One was quickly dubbed "Motor" - the one with hurt feet. The other was called "Dinosaur."  They were about four inches long.  Uncle Byron researched about what they eat and Uncle Tim found an old glass house he had made for an iguana that his daughter had raised. And we became iguana owners.  At first we thought Motor would croak because of his hurt feet, but he managed to survive.  Dalton and William would take them out and pet them and talk to them but were careful not to let them escape.  They grew and seemed happy enough.




At some point, the two got loose were never seen again. Then one day Motor showed back up.  You can read about that here if you would like - on our homeschool blog:


Dinosaur escaped at few times but we would put out food on the porch and he would come back.  After one incident, he seemed rather discontent and began to act a little mean.  Iguanas have a fierce whacking movement they make with their prickly tails.  He slashed the boys more than once.  After his last run away incident we would see him in the big nut tree occasionally but decided it was time for him to be free.  I would put some lettuce and fruits in the lowest crook of the tree from time to time.  He grew to be much bigger and was sighted for the last time before one of our furloughs.

There are a few pictures and further explanation about the last return and escape at this blog post:



I hope you enjoyed this week's post. Wild pets can be an incredible learning experience for boys, but there always comes a time when they should be set free to go their merry way...
next week - The Turtle Came Back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...