Skip to main content

Don't Kiss a Toad!

at Iguatu Camp, 2002

When the boys were all little, we would often go to a camp near a city called Iguatu for missionary conferences.  The boys enjoyed the conferences because they could play all day long with other MK's.  There was a lake for swimming. There was a soccer court for kicking balls all around.  And there were lots of really big toads.

During one conference one of the missionaries held a frog jumping contest.  Whoever wanted to participate had to find themselves a frog {toad} and make it jump to the finish line.  They boys had a blast, but found out that most of the toads were not very interested in jumping.  


The toads would all gather near the dining area at night.  I suppose they were attracted by the lights and all the free food - bugs.  It was a toad paradise.  The boys would often chase them around and watch them catching bugs. It was great fun.
the toad kisser was one of these boys










I remember telling the boys that they shouldn't pick up the toads too much and should always wash their hands good after messing around with them.  Oils on people's hands are not good for aquatic lizard type creatures.  And enzymes and bacteria (gook) on the toad's skin isn't so good for boys - or girls, either for that matter.

Well, one little boy didn't listen to my advice.  It wasn't one of my boys.  It was another little MK.  One evening one of my boys came running to find me and said - Come Quick!  That little boy had been hauling toads all over the place and now he was foaming at the mouth!  The little fellow was a little scared.  His mother was not too happy and not to sure what to do.  Another old missionary lady who was a nurse suggested washing his mouth out good and keeping an eye on him.  He had one big stomachache that night, but he got better.  Seems he had been kissing all the toads.  I'm not sure if he was looking for a princess or what! 


Here's a silly song with a good message from the people at Answers in Genesis and Buddy Davis about frogs and kissing!  Please don't kiss any frogs or toads - they won't turn into princes or princesses - take my word for it!


p.s. Every night these days big toads get in the dog's water bowls looking for water.  I've seen them eat the dog's food, too!  Since we live in a very dry place, the toads look for water wherever they can find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...