Skip to main content

Thanksgiving and Birthdays

Thanksgiving 2015


As you boys may know, today is Aunt Michele's 50th birthday.  Yes, I really am that old!  Half a century!  Growing up sometimes my birthday would fall right on Thanksgiving day since it's a holiday that is on a certain day of the week and a certain week of the month.  Do you know how that works and what U.S. president set it up that way?  Check it out and see if you can find out!

I remember often getting a chocolate pie for my birthday and not a chocolate cake.  But it was always A-OK for me since I love pies!  Pumpkin is one of my favorites.  This morning I was glad for three extra pieces of pie leftover from our Thanksgiving feast - and yes, I ate one for breakfast with whipped cream.  I also remember that the birthday money I got almost always went to buy Christmas presents for my brother and for my parents.  Your daddy's birthday money had always run out long before the holidays, so half of mine usually got lended out to said brother to buy gifts as well.  I'm still wondering if I ever got paid back for all those loans?

Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family.  Being a missionary kid often means that you are never with your whole family on holidays.  I guess we have never been with you all on Thanksgiving.  Your mama can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember one.  But being a MK also means that you can call many special people "aunt" and "uncle."  Yesterday Greyson was surrounded by people that love and care for him - his mama and his papa and two sets of missionary aunts and uncles.

I cherish the time that we got to spend at your house in Texas last year and the time we had together in August of this year.  We didn't have any turkey in North Carolina or Georgia in August but we did have some grand times of thanksgiving.  I am very grateful for memories of this past summer.

Today I am wishing each one of you an incredible holiday season as we get closer and closer to Christmas.  Be thankful for what you have and don't forget to be grateful for good times together with your family while "the getting's good!"

By the way, yesterday we ate turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, two kinds of cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, baked creamed corn, yeast rolls, two kinds of fresh salad, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, key lime pie, whipped cream, and washed it all down with sweet tea and cool sparkling water.  Most of all that was from ingredients bought right here in Brazil - but not all!  :)

Love you,
Aunt Michele

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...