Skip to main content

Chickens and Roads

When I was a girl I thought the chicken crossing the road joke was the funniest thing of all.  Have you heard it?


Why did the chicken cross the road?
 
To get to the other side.
 
It's an example of the kind of joke that is easy to retell with other crazy answers.  When I was a girl and went to a big elementary school, kids loved to ask the question but with some other crazy answer just to trick their friends.
 
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove he wasn't chicken!
 
Why did the duck cross the road?
Because it was the chicken's day off.
 
Why did the chicken cross the playground?
To get to the other slide!
 
Years ago Grandaddy got a newspaper every Sunday.  The newspaper on Sundays was a bigger edition with a section of comics, an insert with advertisements and coupons, and even a special section with a TV schedule for the week.  The Roanoke Times newspaper even had a special mini-newspaper for kids.  Every week they asked for kids to send in stories, drawings and jokes that were chosen for that week.
 
One week I sent in a joke by mail.  There was no email or Facebook or even Internet back then.  My joke got published!  This is the joke I sent in...
 
Why did the orange NOT cross the road?
 

 


(answer is at the very bottom of the post)
 
I was so happy that my joke got published in the Mini Pages of the newspaper.  Somewhere in all my old stuff stored at Grandma's house I still have a copy of the paper.  I thought I was famous!
 
Do you boys like to tell silly jokes?  After all these years of living in Brazil, sometimes I can almost sneak in a joke from time to time.  Telling jokes in another language can be hard.  It's a real talent to be able to reach that level.  Sometimes Uncle Byron can even get a joke from English to work when translated into Portuguese.
 
That's all for this week.  I hope you boys have a good weekend!  See you later, alligators!
 
Ah, here's the answer ---

He ran out of juice!

 
  

 

Comments

  1. Good job.I must be getting old I had forgotten about your joke in the paper.I'm sure it's still here in a box.i'm the keeper of boxes,many are mine.I did get rid of one box last year.It was full of painted items from Good News Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember if you find something valuable we have to divide the profits 50/50!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...