Skip to main content

Some of the Craziest Things I've Ever Done

Cutting a dog's hair!

I've done some crazy things in my missionary days.  Some are probably better left untold.  And some I'm planning on telling you here on this silly little blog.

Do you remember the post about the bad little dog named Nicky?  He was a little poodle mix that belonged to another missionary family.  We took care of him for about four months.  One time while I tried to trim his hair.  He usually went to a professional dog groomer and would come back looking like quite the Mr. Poodle.  The time that I trimmed his coat he looked like such a mess that one of the missionary ladies that saw him told me she was going to let the furloughing owners know what we had done to their dog.  Thankfully the owners were very easy going and didn't mind one bit.

Well, poor old Blackie got a really bad skin problem one year.  He would scratch and scratch all day long and all night.  I tried shampoos for fleas and ticks, got him some medicine, tried a tick dip.  I tried to fumigate the area where he slept for bugs.  I even started buying a really expensive dog food thinking maybe that was the problem

Finally one day, somebody suggested maybe we should just shave down his coat as close as possible to get rid of any fleas and ticks.  I figured I had cut little Nicky's hair that time and he was a super mean dog, so this couldn't be so bad, right?

First of all, it took forever - more than a whole hour.  But Blackie was so good and stood still the whole time.  Second, all the fuzzy, curly black fur was making me sneezy and itchy.  Third, it was super hot and all the fur particles were sticking to my sweating arms.  I thought I'd croak.  But we got it done!

Sad thing was that it didn't really solve the itchy problem.  Later we finally hauled Blackie off to the big city to see the vet.  The vet did lots of tests and prescribed lots of medicine.  Blackie was allergic to fleas!  That's right!  We had been giving him regular flea baths but had run out of good flea collars from the States and all the fleas were loving his fluffy fur.  He was a mess.  After a few weeks of medicines and super strong medicated shampoos, he finally got better.

The vet didn't ask about his funny haircut!

Next week, I'll tell you something else CRAZY that I've done on the mission field.

 

Comments

  1. One thing that was always on my list when traveling to Aunt Michele's was flea collars.I even mailed a few over Blackie's life time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave me a message if you would.

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

Catching Canoes with Tennis Shoes

This was originally posted on my old Yahoo!360 blog on November 8, 2006.  Today is a good day to re-post it!  For years we have prayed for a man to come along side Byron and help him with the work of the boat and the camp.  Recently it seemed that God had, in a unique way, answered those prayers.  Then suddenly everything was turned upside down this week, and I began to wonder if I would have to start "catching canoes with tennis shoes" again!  But our God is indeed an Awesome God and knows all things.  Read on and a little later I'll tell the rest of the story with our recent test of patience and prayer in the area of the camp and help for our work here in Sobradinho. The photo below was not included in my original post, by the way... Children's Retreat, July 2010 November 8, 2006--- I have no photo today since no one had a camera in hand during this little adventure.  As we were leaving the canal where the boat is usually kept to go ...