Skip to main content

Moving to a New House

So my Texas boys have moved this week to a new state.  Does that mean I have to call you by some other name?  Hmmm... I'll have to think on that.  If you were Texas cowboys before, what are you now living in Indiana?  Indiana Indians?  Well, I better keep on thinking.

Talking about moving reminded me of a story about of a time when our family moved out of our house in Fortaleza.  William was 8.  Dalton was 6.  Greyson was still three.  We had to pack up all of our stuff early to have it taken to a new state - Bahia, and we had to pack for furlough.  We were trying to sell our house in Fortaleza.  So we had to get everything out before we left for the States.  Uncle Byron took all of our belongings to a missionary's house in Bahia and we went to stay a few days at the Fortaleza Academy's guest house.
 

Several months before our big move and furlough, little Greyson had lost his glasses.  I don't know if you boys know but when Greyson was about 18 months old he had to wear patches on his eyes and super strong glasses.  It was quite a chore.  Greyson was too little to do a lot of explaining about it all.  But he needed to do it.  His eyes were going crossed randomly causing him to often shake his head in frustration.  The eye doctor prescribed patching one eye for one day and the other the next and so on.  He also had to wear the glasses all day long. 
 

We did all kinds of things to encourage Greyson to cooperate and not pull off the patches or glasses.  But the best incentive was hand smacking.  Whenever he would reach up to take off a patch or remove his glasses.  I would tell him "No" and smack his little pudgy hand.  Needless to say for a good part of the first six months he walked around with red hands. 
 

Greyson had been wearing the glasses for well over a year and it was almost time for a revisit to see the eye doctor.  So I got an appointment and took him in.  I explained about the lost glasses and our upcoming trip to the States.  The doctor said his eyes were looking really good, so he could stop using the glasses, but to keep patching until it was time for us to travel.


 

Flash forward to our big packing up time at the house... one day while looking all around for what was left to pack up, I looked under the steps and lo and behold what do you imagine I found?  Greyson's little blue eye glasses!  When I found them I called everyone to come and see what I had found.  Greyson with his cute little three year old voice said something like - "Oh, that's where I left them!"  So were the glasses lost?  Or had they been carefully hidden?  It's hard to say!
 

So I'm wondering, boys, did you lose anything in the big transfer to your new house?  Or did you find some lost things as you were packing up to go?
 

Best wishes and prayers as you settle in to your new home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...