Skip to main content

People Along my Path

Madeline - a teen-aged girl I met at a waterfall in Minas Gerais who told me about all the places she'd ever lived including several I had visited on our big Brazil trip.

Maria Alice - a lady her 30's - 40's who was a rather out of place student at a Bible college who told me how she had heard the call of God as a teen and not answered but now she was.

The lady from Rattlesnake - yes, that was the name of her city, Cascavel.  We met in the waiting line for the bus at the Iguassu Falls.  She told me how she had come there on her honeymoon and had always wanted to return.  Her husband had passed away but she was there with her daughter.

Carmen - the owner of a bed and breakfast where we stayed in Brasilia who told us all about how she came to be the host of an inn and all about her daughters' lives.

Ed - an old German immigrant we met at a Lutheran church we attended on our trip who told us about his life and farming in the state of Paraná.

Little campground cleaning lady - I'm not sure if I learned this lady's name but I did enjoy watching her work around the campground while the rest of her family seemed to do little to nothing.

Singing cleaning lady - I came upon this lady singing while she cleaned the public bathrooms in a little place called Igatu.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...