Skip to main content

Colors in the Desert

This week we got some rain this week!  Don't forget we live in a semi-arid, scrub bush desert.  We have two seasons:  somewhat hot and dry, hotter and maybe a little rain.  Around this time of the year the temperature starts to shoot up, sometimes close to 100 degrees Farenheit.  That's when people start to talk about rain.  

We know that rain is necessary, but it sure makes the dirt roads we travel on a mess - a muddy mess.  It rained well on Monday night.  We drove to one of our interior stops on Tuesday in the Pajero since we had some helpers.  It does well in mud and we can sit in air conditioned, closed window comfort (usually anyway).  It does make stops along the side of the road tricky.


In the sand rail, we used to just get soaked going through the big puddles that stretch from one side of the road to the other.  Last year, Byron made some mud fenders and flaps.  They are removable.  I was sure glad that Byron put them on before our Thursday trip to Lage dos Negros.


We also tested out his latest invention - a camper platform!  It worked and we slept fairly well on Thursday night in a secret place just off the main road.


We had been invited to a birthday party in one of the communities for the daughter of one of our students.  So we took advantage of the opportunity to stay as long as we wanted and be in no hurry to leave before dark.  This little princess turned three!



It doesn't take much to make a little princess happy.  I think she loved her Minnie Mouse themed party.  We were glad to have been invited.  Prayers for her family and community.

It doesn't take much rain to bring out the colors of the desert either.  It only takes a little bit of God's Word to bring hope to the dry soul, too.  We are blessed to see the mother of this little birthday girl growing in Christ after her decision last month.  Just like the many flowers we saw that just popped up over night after the big rain, she is blooming and blossoming in her new Christian life.  

Here are a few...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...