Skip to main content

O Sertão

 

 Imagine a place where it just doesn't rain sometimes for years on end.  That's the Sertão of Northeast Brazil.  It's a unique biome the size of Texas and makes up 10% of the country.


Day-time temperatures can reach more than 100 degrees Farenheit  in the hot months of December and January.

Imagine a place where most of the plants are cactuses and thorn bushes.  That's the Sertão!  Plants need those prickly parts so animals don't eat them up in the dry times.  Even many trees have thorns!

Imagine a place where most roads have no pavement at all.  That's the Sertão!  Actually all of Brazil only have around 20% of its road system paved, but that number decreases to around 10% in the dry Northeast.


But all along those dirt paths there are small communities where few missionaries go.  Communities, farms, and small cities can be found with few churches of any kind let alone a Baptist.  People live and work and exist with a unique culture and old traditions, with an open hospitality and friendly smiles, and always ready to share a cup of strong, black coffee if a person would just sit a little while.







This is where we work and have been riding our sandrail for the past five years - in the Sertão.  We visit in homes.  We stop to show the Jesus film in small communities.  We take evangelistic missions teams in the small cities.  We try to help families on small farms.  We work to see churches planted - Baptist churches.


So what is the Sertão?  It's a place where the ground is dry, and people need to know about the Living Water of Salvation - Jesus.  Pray for our work and for its continuation in the Northeast of Brazil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...