Skip to main content

Books Read Recently

 

Hold Strong by Robert Dugoni

Wow, this is a historical fiction work about American POW's in the Japanese theater.  It's also a love story about two young people from a small town in the Midwest.  The authors worked hard to document the factual aspects of the book.


The Despicable Missionary by Annie Bradley

This is a biography of Pakistani Christian who desired to be a voice in the middle of persecution in her country and how to rose above her anger to help others of all religions come to Christ.


The Girl Who Escaped From Auschwitz by Ellie Midwood

This is a sad novel with a sad ending, but nonetheless worth the read.  It's about a couple who find love in the midst of the death camps of Hitler.


The Undercover Secretary by Ellie Midwood

This was another historical fiction work based roughly on facts about the dark Holocaust days during World War II.


Fragments of Light by Michele Phoenix

I had been wanting to read a book by this former missionary and current TCK specialist.  It like the author's technique of merging a historical story with a modern day one.


The Space Between Words by Michele Phoenix

This was another page turner with a double story line.  I liked the information about the Huguenots and how the author tied the story to current times.


Overflowing Faith by Michelle Ule

This book was an autobiography of Lettie Cowman, missionary to the Orient.  I found her life story to be very inspirational and especially liked the fact that she never stopped looking for ways to minister even as she aged and lost her husband.


All these can be found on Amazon and digitally on Kindle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Orange Cat

Do you boys remember that big orange cat at the mission house in North Carolina?  That was a special day for me.  I don't have a new story for this Friday.  I've had a long week, but my mind kept going back to that cat this week as I thought about what I would post for you boys today.  Click on the link down below to go back to my big people blog and reread the cat story if you like. Oh, by the way, this morning I made a special trip down to the other end of our town to see the guinea pigs being sold at a grocery store.  This particular store sells medicine and feed for all kinds of animals.  This month they are selling guinea pigs, baby chickens, and dachshund puppies!  Their guinea pigs looked very healthy.  They are selling them for BR$10 each or BR$15 for a pair.  Uncle Byron said that he was glad I didn't bring any home with me! One more thing - this week a mama possum came in our yard.  The dogs chased it and Girl Dog let out a squ...

My Promise Verse

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take:  when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. This verse has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. When I was a high school senior at a Christian school in Virginia, Job 23:10 was chosen as our class theme verse. At our graduation commencement, the valedictorian and saludatorian in their addresses that day divided the verse in its two natural parts as a basis for the core of each one's address. I was the salutatorian of my senior class that year.  I chose to speak of how God would one day reward our faithfulness and thus, we should always strive to remain true. For many years though, the first part of the verse haunted me in a way. As a missionary especially when times were lonely or difficult, I assumed it was my "trial" or "test," and as such must be accepted in all humility. As I have grown older, I have begun to look more toward the pearly gates and have reconsidered the thr...

The Big Orange Cat - A story for my nephews

This is a very special story written for my three little nephews who live in Southern Brazil very far from where I live up in the Northeast of Bahia.  I hope you all remember this special day. Once upon a time there were three little brothers who lived in a far away place called Mountain Valley.  The three little brothers were the only sons of a man and woman who were getting ready to travel to a far off country.  They were going to be missionaries in a place were many people needed to hear about God and the Bible.  The three little boys had a crazy old aunt who was home from that same far away country.  She and her husband happened to have three sons just like the man and woman.  She and her husband were missionaries just like the man and woman, too.  They had been living in the far away country for many years and had never gotten to meet the three little boys before. One day while in the place near Mountain Valley where the missionary ...